Healing Turmeric Tonic
So what makes this tonic healing?
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which boasts amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Plus, it’s been used in India for nearly 4,000 years and has gained popularity throughout the world in part due to its vast medicinal uses.
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that has been known to aid digestion and relieve nausea.
Lemon is naturally detoxifying and alkalizing in the body, aids in healthy bowel movements, and boasts plenty of Vitamin C, which boosts the immune system.
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated turmeric
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 whole lemon (juiced // 3 Tbsp or 45 ml juice // plus leftover rind)
- 1-2 tsp raw honey (optional)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional // or cracked black pepper)
- 3 cups drinking water
- To a small saucepan, add turmeric, ginger, lemon juice, leftover lemon rind, raw honey (optional), cayenne pepper (optional), and water. We personally didn’t think it needed any sweetener but sweetened to taste.
- Bring to a simmer (not a boil) over medium to medium-high heat (~3 minutes). Then turn off the heat.
- Set a small strainer over serving glasses and divide between two mugs. Enjoy. If the tonic is too potent for you, dilute it with more hot/warm water.
- Store (strained) leftovers in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop until just warm.