Here is a little blog on Keto. Whether you are on an actual keto diet or just like to mix keto products into your diet, it’s good to share information on the purpose of keto as well as some of the generally accepted outcomes of keto. We have a good range of keto products in the stores and see that they are very popular, so it’s obviously working well for some of you. But more on the products later, first what is keto and what are the pros and cons. This is very brief, promise, and you are welcome to correct and comment.
The keto diet, which has become super popular in recent years, is a low-carb, high-fat diet that involves reducing your carb intake and replacing it with fat so that your body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, where it burns fat for fuel instead of glucose from carbohydrates. Phew, there you have it in a nutshell! So why do it? Here are some reasons:
- Weight loss, not surprisingly, is high on the list.
- The high-fat, moderate-protein diet helps reduce appetite, again, helps weight loss.
- Improved blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Potential therapeutic effects for neurological conditions.
The keto diet has its’ detractors too. Especially when considered as a long-term diet. Apart from the obvious challenges of maintaining the diet, the reasons given include:
- A keto diet can lead to nutrient deficiencies, particularly in fibre, vitamins, and minerals.
- Some people may experience the ‘keto flu’ in the initial stages, although keto advocates would say this is normal when you detox.
- Increased risk of heart disease due to increased LDL cholesterol which comes from increasing fat intake.
Interesting! Evidently, how you do it and your body type will have a lot to do with how keto works for you. As a keto diet is mainly about changing the composition of your primary dietary components (more meat, dairy, nuts, seeds etc, this is easy to do) we have concentrated our keto offerings on those areas where it is most likely to be a challenge, namely bakery and sweet items where the carbs and sugars dwell.
Cook & Baker, Mindful Munchies, Motion Café, Samadi, and Milk Up are amongst our wizards in making keto taste great. We have, and this is not the complete list, Almond Cranberry Choco Bitz, Chocolate Walnut Cookies, Syrniki, Buns, Chia Seed Puddings, Bread, Choco Mousse, Lemon Slices, Peanut Butter Cookies, Ham Zucchini Muffins, and Granola. So, whether you are on a keto diet or you just want keto in your diet, we have some yummy options for you! And, as always, tell us what you need so that we can add it to our scouting!
Click the image below to see our range of keto products!